Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sous Vide Smoked Pork Shoulder

I haven't used my New Bradley Original Smoker much this year at all, since I was going to be stuck in the neighborhood all weekend due to a festival at the nearby Buddhist temple I decided it would be a good opportunity to get my smoke on.  I decided to make some pulled pork, but rather than just do the whole thing in the smoker I wanted to try something different.

There have been posts about people using sous vide in combination with smoking to good effect with beef, so I decided to try it with pork shoulder.  On my way home from work I stopped by the grocery store and picked up a boneless pork shoulder roast, I usually go for bone in but this was on sale so I gave it a try.  Since this was a spur-of-the-moment thing I didn't have a rub ready so I just raided the spice cabinet and quickly put one together.

 The rub consisted of cajun seasoning, celery salt, paprika, black pepper and kosher salt.  Rub was liberally applied to all surfaces of the pork shoulder before it was placed in a vacuum bag and sealed with the Food Saver vacuum sealer.  I put about 8 quarts of water in a 12 quart Cambro container, attached my WiFi Nomiku immersion circulator and set the temp to 155°f.  The pork shoulder soaked at that temperature for around 24 hours before being removed from the bath, allowed to rest at room temperature for around 30 minutes and finally chilled and put in the refrigerator until I was ready to start smoking.



















Using the PID controller I set the smoker temperature to 250°f and loaded it up with Jim Beam flavored bisquettes.  While waiting for the smoker to reach temp I removed the pork shoulder from the bag, removed all the gelatinized juices (purge) and patted the shoulder dry with paper towels.  The purge was reduced and mixed with a commercial mustard based barbecue sauce.  Once the pork was placed in the smoker a temperature probe was put in place and the shoulder smoked until the internal temperature again reached 155°f.  Once the internal temperature target was reached the pork shoulder was removed from the smoker, tented with foil and allowed to rest until the temp went down to 140°f, at which point it was shredded into pulled pork.


 The sous vide/smoked pulled pork turned out delicious, very moist but with a slightly different texture than a pork shoulder cooked entirely in the smoker.  I believe this is due to the lower temperature that the meat was subjected to, when smoking a pork shoulder in the traditional way you want the internal temperature to get up to around 202°f whereas the shoulder I cooked here never got above 160°f even with carry over.  One thing I will do differently next time is to trim most of the fat off the pork shoulder before cooking, the lower temperature didn't let the fat render off and become crispy.  To serve I dressed the pork with some of the mustard barbeque sauce, pickles and a little sriracha sauce.  It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment