Monday, August 8, 2016

LG French Style 3-Door Refrigerator Model LFXC24726S

A little over a month ago our Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator gave up the ghost.  At some time during the night the compressor failed, and with the fans still running the temperature quickly rose.  I left work as soon as I was told that something was wrong, but by the time I made it home an hour later the temperature in the freezer section had increased to over 60°.  We ended up having to throw away everything.  The refrigerator lasted for a little over 14 years so I can't complain too much about the build quality, but I found the narrowness of the freezer section a little limiting.  After taking measurements of the cabinet opening we looked around at several options and finally decided on the LG LFXC24726S.  

The refrigerator is a counter depth French door style with a bottom drawer freezer compartment.  The capacity is a little smaller than the one we were replacing, but the space seems much more usable since the compartments aren't as narrow as in the side-by-side model.  A water and ice dispenser are located on the refrigerator door, with a compact ice maker located in the door of the refrigerator section.  The ice bin is accessible by flipping a latch and opening a small door within the refrigerator door, the bin holds about 4.5 quarts of ice when full.  So far we've been pretty happy with the refrigerator, although there is a rattle from time to time that I haven't had time to track down yet.  On another note, I would like to find the architect who thought putting a kitchen on the second floor with the only access being a 36" wide staircase and flog him with a wet noodle.  I'm sure getting major appliances up to the space wasn't that difficult before inconvenient things like walls were put up, but it was a MAJOR hassle to get this puppy up to the kitchen and installed.

I wasn't really planning on posting about the refrigerator, but an event over the weekend made me want to say something.  A fire broke out in a garage about a 1/2 block down the street, it spread to 2 houses and a garage across the alley before finally being doused by the fire department.  One firefighter was treated for minor injuries, but other than him the only damage was to property.  During the course of the fire a utility pole was destroyed and we were left without power.  We didn't know how long the power would be out, so we just decided to keep the refrigerator doors closed to try and keep everything cold until it was restored.  After about 4 hours I became a little concerned about the ice maker in the refrigerator door, I figured I should dump the bin so the melting ice wouldn't make a mess in the kitchen.  When I opened the ice maker door I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the ice was still frozen, it was all dumped in to a bowl which was then put in the refrigerator section to help keep things cool.  It took about 10 hours before the power was finally restored, almost none of the ice in the bowl had melted and the things in the freezer were still frozen solid.  I had been worried that we would have to end up throwing away another entire refrigerator full of food, but the new LG refrigerator is insulted well enough to keep that from happening.  Now I just need to track down that rattle...

No comments:

Post a Comment