Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Naturally fermented sauerkraut at home.

I had half a head of cabbage left over from St. Patrick's day this year and needed to find a good way to put it to use.  Normally I would just fire up the grill for a cook-out and use the left over cabbage for some slaw, but this year spring seems to be having a difficult time getting started.  Instead of waiting for a warm day I decided to turn the cabbage in to fermented sauerkraut.  

The ingredient list is short...


1/2 head cabbage
2 tsp kosher salt


Several recipes also included caraway seeds as an option, but I couldn't find the ones I was sure I had in the pantry so I substituted 1/2 tsp dill seeds.  Remove any dirty outer leaves from the cabbage but don't wash, you need the bacteria naturally present to do the fermenting.  The first step was to remove the core from the head of cabbage and cut in to 1/8" strips.  That was placed in a bowl and the salt sprinkled over top.  Using gloved hands the salt was mixed and massaged in to the cabbage and allowed to sit for about 10 minutes for the liquid to start coming out.  While that was happening I sterilized a 1 quart mason jar (and a canning funnel) in boiling water.


While the jar was cooling a bit I went back to the cabbage and mixed in the dill seeds, then started loading it in to the jar using the canning funnel.  When the jar was filled almost to the top I took a small juice glass and used it to push everything down in to the jar, then continued adding more cabbage.  Eventually all the cabbage fit in the jar, so I added some water to the juice glass and covered everything with a towel secured with a rubber band to keep anything from finding its way in.  I went back about once an hour the rest of the night to pack the cabbage down in the jar, by the end of the night enough juice had been exuded from the cabbage to submerge everything.  By the next morning it was obvious that something was happening, there was a slight vinegary and lots of bubbles were coming up from the cabbage.  Over the next week the jar was allowed to sit out at room temperature covered with a towel.  Twice a day the fermenting cabbage was packed down in to the jar using the juice glass to make sure everything stayed submerged in the juice.  At day 5 I pulled a little out with a fork and tried it, it was good!  Finally on day 7 I figured it had had enough time so I loosely put a lid on the jar and put it in the fridge.



The results are fantastic.  The sauerkraut is nice and tangy, but unlike the stuff you get the the grocery store it still has a lot of crunch.  Since it's fairly acidic I would guess that the shelf life is decent, but I'm thinking I may vacuum seal some and pasteurize in a water bath using my Nomiku, I figure 140F for 90 minutes would kill off any pathogens but still retain the crunch of the cabbage.  Now I just need some warm weather so I serve this with some grilled sausages!

No comments:

Post a Comment