Monday, July 16, 2012

A neglected blog

Ok, so it looks like I took an entire year off!  Life has been hectic and I just haven't had the motivation to keep my blogs up-to-date.  This is something I intend to change, later this week I'm going to post about the cedar plank salmon I made for July 4th, I just need to put together the recipe and find the picture I took of the finished product.  After that I hope to get back to a more regular schedule of posting.  Since my last post I lost my last grandparent, Mamaw.  She left me her boxes of recipes so I'm going to try and make something from that collection of hand-written recipes on a regular basis and post the results here.  This is mostly old-school Kentucky recipes and I'm sure I'm going to be surprised at what I find in there.

The other thing I've been watching lately is a Kickstarter project for a slick immersion circulator.  The Nomiku has already gone over 200% of their funding goal with a couple of days left to go.  I got in early at the $299 level, so if everything goes as planned I should get a Nomiku delivered sometime in December.  The Fisher Scientific circulator I am using now is nice, but I have to set it up using a beer cooler filled with water and I can't use it in the kitchen since it keeps tripping the GFCI on those outlets.  The Nomiku just clips on to a pot and should be much easier to use (though its heater is 25% less powerful).  Since their funding has gone so well, they've decided to open up the sous vide parties in San Francisco, New York and Chicago that were originally only open to those who donated at the $499 level.  For every additional $25,000 over the $400,000 funding level they are going to open up parties in an additional location as voted by the funders.  I'm looking forward to getting the circulator and attending the Chicago party!

No comments:

Post a Comment