Monday, October 17, 2016

It's Here!: Misen Chef's Knife Edition

My latest Kickstarter acquisition is the Misen Chef's Knife.  The stated goal of this Kickstarter campaign was to produce "An amazing knife at an honest price", they plan on selling the knife directly to consumers via the Misen web site for $65.  So how good is it?

 First off, the packaging is impressive.  Each knife comes in a box custom designed to keep it safe and secure for shipping or transporting.  In the photo to the left I've already removed the inner box from the outer sleeve.  Upon opening the box the first thing you see is a card showing care instructions, on the other side are pictograms of different types of cuts demonstrated on carrots.


Below the card is a plastic insert that snugly holds the knife in place.











 The Misen knife weighs in at 218.9 grams, about 33% lighter than my go-to Mac Professional 9 1/2" French Chef's Knife.





The balance point is just where it should be, right at the bolster where the handle meets the blade.  If a chef's knife isn't balanced properly you end up expending extra energy moving the blade which causes muscle fatigue.  The handle is made of molded thermoplastic and is very comfortable to hold.




 My knives arrived on a Saturday in the afternoon, I wasn't expecting them until Monday so I didn't really have anything planned.  I did have a new formulation of pizza dough in the refrigerator I saw on Chef Steps that I was going to use on Monday or Tuesday so I decided to pull it out early and make some pizza!  The Misen had no trouble cutting extremely thin slices of onion and I was able to quickly chiffonade basil (picked from the AeroGarden) for the top.  So far I'm very pleased with my new knife!









MMMM, pizza!

1 comment:

  1. Kitchen knife is very important for our households and restaurant because it makes our work super fast and very easier. Need more info click here.

    ReplyDelete