Friday, August 20, 2010

Key Lime Pie

Years ago I was given a recipe for key lime pie by a person in Miami and promptly lost it.  A good ten years later while going through a drawer of papers, there it was!  I made a pie last weekend and it turned out pretty good so I thought I'd post the recipe and never lose it again!

This is a very simple recipe.  I used a store-bought graham cracker crust and bottled key lime juice.  About a month or two ago I did see fresh key limes for sale at Dominick's, but I hadn't found the recipe at that point and didn't grab them.  Next year for sure!  You will want to have a pie crust ready before you mix the filling.  Graham cracker crusts are traditional and easy to make, but I was being lazy.

The filling has just four ingredients...

4 egg yolks
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup key lime juice
pinch of salt

Whisk the yolks together, then whisk in the condensed milk and salt.  When everything is smooth and uniform whisk in the key lime juice until well combined and pour immediately in to the waiting crust.  The acidity of the key lime juice will start to set the curd pretty quickly, the filling does not have to be cooked at all but will "cook" in the mixing bowl if you don't get it in to the crust within a few minutes.  I just make a quick whipped cream to go with the pie but the original recipe called for a meringue topping make with the four egg whites you should have left over and three tablespoons of sugar, whipped to stiff peaks.  Once this is placed on the filling the pie is baked in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes to brown the meringue.  Using the store bought crust and whipped cream instead of meringue, this dessert took about 5 minutes to make and was liked by all who partook!  Next time I make it I might add a little fresh lime and lemon juice to freshen up the bottled key lime juice, I'll likely try that this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment